Wednesday, September 4, 2013

It's Raining

I don't think it's going to last long, but while it does, I am enjoying drinking coffee in this dark house and listening to the new Reckless Kelly album, Long Night Moon. Do yourself a favor and at least download the title track. I'd give you a YouTube link, but there aren't any, so you'll just have to go to iTunes or Amazon and download it. http://www.amazon.com/Long-Night-Moon-Reckless-Kelly/dp/B00E0P93G8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1378303398&sr=8-3&keywords=long+night+moon

Not much to blog about the last few weeks, really. We have finished up irrigating corn (I think). I'll be spending some time in the fields the next couple of days checking ears and using the soil probe to check soil moisture, but we had about 5.5" of rain in August, plus watering last week, so we should be good. Some of the corn is black layering, which means it no longer takes water and is mature. Everything else is close. We'll be watering beans for awhile yet, but with the hot weather, they might start turning sooner than I expect.

I get in a rut this time of year, and it's been made worse by the hot weather we've had the last week. Lots of mid 90s and it looks like it's going to get that hot again here for the next few days. This is good for the crops, but bad for Ben. I have a lot of projects I want to do around the place, but pulling tin off of a building when it's 93 degrees doesn't sound like a lot of fun. Guess I will push those back until after harvest.

I have recently started reading a lot and playing guitar again. Those things usually take a back seat during the summer. I feel much less stressed when both of those activities take up a portion of my day. I've read a crappy thriller, a marketing book and Band of Brothers. I am currently reading a book about Wyatt Earp and what really happened at Tombstone, and so far, it's a lot different than the movie accounts. Wyatt Earp was kind of a dirt bag, but so was everyone else at the time, apparently.

Anyway, rambling, I know. Keep on rocking in the free world.

2 comments:

  1. Reckless Kelly played in Portland, OR. Here is a link to a video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSWUvv-JTEI

    Lloyd Maines plays steel guitar on the album you mentioned. That is kind of impressive.

    It is supposed to rain half an inch here tomorrow. We shall see. Probably will rain just enough to ruin the straw quality and put an end to baling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're big RK fans around here. I also enjoy their brothers' band, Micky and the Motorcars. The rain amounted to less than measurable. Enough to make it humid all day.

      Delete