Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Fall Is Coming

It's 43 degrees right now. I'm not sure how I feel about that.

The leaves on the beans are starting to turn brown and drop. The corn is also drying, but it's going pretty slowly. We could  use some warm days to dry stuff down, but it doesn't look like it's going to happen.

We've been picking pipe up, shredding weeds, getting a few things ready for harvest. I'm hoping we can cut some beans next weekend or so, but I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't.

Remember that pivot that I've fixed? Twice? Yep, it broke down again. I think a gearbox ate it. I opened the top plug on the gearbox and couldn't see any oil. Opened the bottom plug and all that came out was water. That's a bad sign. Zimmatic pivots have an 8 year/8,000 hour warranty. I think this pivot has been up more than 8 years. My rent contract states I pay the first $500 of pivot/pump repair. A new gearbox is $410. Of course.

We watched Food Inc. the other night, and I'd like to write a reaction to it, but I'm pretty sure my head would explode. That thing was packed with fallacies. I will say one thing - to all of the people that think that the origin of their food is "hidden", it's not. Come ask me anytime. Come spend a few days here. No one said you couldn't ask the farmer or rancher where your food came from.

No comments:

Post a Comment