Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Shay Told Me To Blog

So I am.

I don't really know what to say... Grandpa and I are sorting some cattle tomorrow to take to slaughter, Shay and I are going in Thursday afternoon to go over our operating/land loan, I've got 3 or 4 auctions to go to this month and I still don't have a sprayer bought.

Now that we've moved, I've kind of lost all motivation to do anything. I would do the trim work for the house, but Shay wants it stained instead of painted and I don't have anywhere at the current time that is warm enough to stain that much wood work, so it'll have to wait until spring. I need to clean out the garage and shop, but since it's cold out again, I'll probably let it wait.

Going through the cash flow process this year has kind of scared the crap out of me. I'm farming about twice as much this year as I used to and the cost of farming is going up. My operating loan will probably be north of $150,000, plus the loan we'll take out for the land we're buying from my parents, which consists of 62ish acres. I hate owing people money, but as a farmer, it's kind of necessary. I hope to some day be in a position where I can farm with cash instead of an operating loan, but I doubt it will happen. When you aren't in complete control of how much money you make every year, it's kind of hard to plan for a few years down the road. Corn could be $3/bushel in a few years. I hope not.

1 comment:

  1. My wife told me to either start blogging again or take antidepressants cause eventually my head was going to explode... And that is the real motivation for my blog.
    I have trouble dealing with the increased risk that comes with the increased prices. I should be renting more ground but that means borrowing more money. Which is of course the wrong way of looking at it!

    ReplyDelete