Friday, December 14, 2012

Again?

It's been in me a long time to write this post. I've started it about eleventy times only to quit. Something keeps drawing me back to the blank page that is Blogger. My writing peeps can probably understand.

I don't want this blog to die. I don't know what I want out of it. Mostly, I don't know what you want out of it. I was reading a lot of my posts from the first year, and it amazes me how much I wandered and didn't write only about farming.

This year, when I did post, it was mostly about farming, and rather boring, I thought. Then, I quit. I will be honest with you - this year sucked. Flat out. I was pissed off most of the time, and that doesn't always make for good writing. It was a hot, dry, long summer, and the last thing I wanted to do was blog about it. I was convinced that the heat, weeds, drought and earworms could not be defeated.

How little faith...

We were blessed beyond any measure I could think of this year. Yes, I had a field that did pretty poorly, but there God provided what we needed through crop insurance. Everywhere else, I was more than surprised by how well crops did. I had my first 200bu/acre corn and my first 70bu/acre beans. I saw 110bu/acre on the yield monitor in more than one spot on some of my beans field. We had virtually no break downs all harvest and got the crop in earlier than I've ever imagined. Prices were good, and we've made money. God knows a thing or two about growing crops, I've finally decided.

We also closed on the farm this week. Shay and I (and the bank) own 68 acres now, 55 of which are crop ground. I've been doing a lot of planning and dreaming lately about what this place might look like some day. It's alternately scary and exciting, but I feel that God has blessed us with this opportunity, so I'm going to run with it.

Other than that, not much exciting going on here. I've been reading a lot and planning for next crop year. There may be a new sideline business for Dad and I in the near future, but I'll wait to share until I can get some pictures of things. Nothing like a little suspense to bring you back, eh?


1 comment:

  1. Sounds like your getting along fairly well. Good luck getting the bank out of your business.
    I've a feeling your gonna be just fine.

    ReplyDelete