Monday, December 17, 2012

Favorite Songs of 2012

I know, I know. The year isn't over yet, but Shay is gone and I'm staying up late listening to and playing music, just like the old college days.

I've come across a lot of good music this year, and I thought I'd share some of my favorites. I think in order to keep it interesting, I'll pare it down to a top 5:

5 - Turnpike Troubadours - Gin, Smoke, Lies

I don't know how you couldn't like this song. Really.


4 - Sons of Bill - Santa Ana Winds

I don't really know what this song is about, and I don't really care. It makes me feel good and that's what matters.


3 - Lucero - When I Was Young

I... uh... well, I feel like this a lot of the time. Am I old enough to remember when I was young? I dunno. When he sings of love, I don't really think about it in the romantic sense. I think a lot about my friends and I wish I would've spent more time with them then. That's how the line "Oh, the days I let slip away, I was fierce and wild in love when I was young," means to me. I know. That's probably not what he means. But it's what I mean.  

    

2 - Sean McConnell - Old Brown Shoes

I love this guy and could listen to him all day, every day. One of his albums (200 Orange St.) pulled me out of a bad funk a few years back and I've been a huge supporter ever since. If the chorus of this song doesn't do something to you, you have no soul. 


1 - Kasey Anderson - Exit Ghost

The album version is more rocked out, but I like this version best. In an interview, he says the title comes from a Shakespeare stage direction. It's about all of the people in your life you used to be close to. I can relate. Been thinking about that a lot, lately. The last minute and a half is my favorite. 



The next 5 (if you choose to check them out):

Chris Knight - Little Victories
Uncle Lucius - Pocket Full of Misery
Lucero - I Can't Stand To Leave You
Lucero - It May Be Too Late
Turnpike Troubadours - Good Lord Lorrie

And as a bonus, my favorite cover song of the year. Saw them play this in concert a month or two ago. I had no idea what it was until the chorus hit. That's when I realized it may have been the greatest cover I've ever heard. The video does it no justice. 

Reckless Kelly - She Drives Me Crazy (Fine Young Cannibals)

2 comments:

  1. First, I am extremely glad you are blogging again!! 2nd, I think you should do music picks like this at least once a month... you have great taste in music and listening to these songs takes me back to the man cave in the old blue house... good times and great memories!

    ReplyDelete