Monday, November 14, 2011

Nov. 14th (Really?)

This month (and year) are moving right along.

Well, we aren't done picking corn yet. We should get done this week, hopefully by Friday. Why Friday? I'd like to watch the Husker game Saturday. Yeah, I suppose that's a lame reason, but I really don't care. I think Dad and I might possibly, maybe, could be going to an auction next Monday, so that's another reason to get done.

Since I'm a seed dealer for Channel, we do a test plot every year. In fact, next year, we're going to do a corn test plot and a soybean test plot. Basically, you plant a bunch of different hybrids in the same field, at the same population, the same fertilizer rate, and the same irrigation. This way, you can find out what works for your area and what doesn't. It also gives the seed company an opportunity to compare their hybrids in different soils and management styles. You put up a bunch of signs with the hybrid numbers on them for advertisement purposes, also. My DSM came out last Thursday with his weigh wagon, and we went to work. Basically, you pick each hybrid separately and weigh them separately, measure the distance of the rows, weigh the corn, blah blah blah. Anyway, you do all this figuring and find out how many bushels per acre it makes. We had 11 hybrids - 10 Channel numbers, and one Pioneer. 4 of the Channel numbers were green snapped pretty bad and only made around 165bu/acre. There were 3 Channel numbers that made in the 190s. The Pioneer number made 188bu/acre. Channel 211-99VT3P made 200bu/acre, Channel 208-72VT3 made 216bu/acre, and Channel 216-63VT3 made 220bu/acre. Anyhow, I'm boring you. Here are the pictures:




Also, I came across a couple of pictures from a long time ago when I was working on the bean head. Making an appearance is my Grandpa, Bill:



And a picture of our "new" house. I think it's actually the oldest house in the area. I'm excited to get to work on it and make it ours.

No comments:

Post a Comment