Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Auction Followup

I'm sure all you faithful readers are wondering if I got anything bought at the auction today. Yeah, sure did. The backhoe? No. A sprayer? Well, yes. Not the one I really wanted, though. I bid on a 60' Great Plains sprayer, but someone wanted it a lot more than I did. Instead, I bought a 25 gallon ATV sprayer with a 10' boom. Got it for about $300 less than a new one goes for, and I've been wanting one, so I'm pretty excited about it. I'll have to do some fixing - one of the nozzles is broken, and I may need a bigger pump, but even at that I'll still have what I wanted for half price. It will be nice for spraying pipe and driveways. Could spray my lawn with it, too. I was going to buy a hydraulic top link for my tractor (It tips the 3 point hitch back and forth using the hydraulic outlets on the tractor. The factory top link is operated manually, and usually fills with dirt and crap, which results in it not working like it's supposed to) but I didn't get it bought. The auctioneer was farting around selling some tools, taking his sweet time, so I went to get a burger and some coffee. Wouldn't you know, he sold the top link right as I came back to the auction ring. New ones sell for about $800, and I think that one went for $500. Oh well. They made more than one.

I'm kicking around the idea of investing in GPS for my tractor. The only problem is I don't have $25,000 in my back pocket to spend. If I could come up with some more land, I'd probably bite the bullet. Everyone says it pays for itself in the seed, chemical, and fuel savings. I think it would be especially nice for spraying and planting. No more wide and narrow rows. We don't disk much, but I could see where it would save a lot of money in fuel when we do. Maybe next year...

Non-farm readers: If you have questions, don't hesitate to ask. I can take pictures and go into a lot of detail if you so desire.

1 comment:

  1. I'm thinking I may want one of those hydraulic top links for my vacuum cleaner. It fills up with dirt and crap, too. I could probably use GPS on it, too. That would mean I could sit on the couch eating bonbons while it negotiated around the coffee table, right?

    ReplyDelete