Sunday, November 28, 2010

I'm Tired

Of people saying I'm whipped. I think that's the dumbest thing in the world.

I guess what prompts this is the fact that Shay is getting a real Christmas tree and lights to put up around the house. I've always been about fake trees and didn't much care about lights on the house. Shay wants these things, and because it makes her happy, I agreed. Not that I was exactly excited about it. Reluctant may be the word that comes to mind. 

If someone hears that we're getting a real tree and lights for the house, they make some reference to my manhood being in Shay's purse, or the sound of a whip crack, blah blah blah.

Because I like to see my wife happy.

Am I the only one that does not understand this logic? That a man has to be selfish all the time and do only what he wants? And I'll be the first to admit I've given guys a hard time like I'm now receiving. That was before I was married. Most of the guys I get crap from? Yeah, they're married.

Uh, what's cool about being selfish in a marriage?

Now, my father and Shay's father are exempt from this. They're giving me crap not because they think I'm a wimp or a push-over. They give me crap because, well, they're my dad and father-in-law. That's what they do. But their crap is lighthearted, because they know how much I care for Shay.

Some people seem to be questioning my manhood. For those, I would like to ask you to read Ephesians 5:25-29. "He who loves his wife loves himself." 

Granted, Christmas lights and a real tree aren't needed. They are not vital to our survival. This passage does mention care, however. I care deeply for my wife. I take care of her any way I can. Is happiness a part of this care? I'm pretty sure it is.

If I wanted lights on the house, you can damn sure bet I would go buy some. If I love my wife as I love myself, why would I not buy her some lights? It's not a matter of life and death. The bill from Southern Power might go up a little. So what? Making Shay happy makes me happy. 

If people think I'm "whipped" so be it. I don't care anymore. I'm supposed to be Billy Badass and not give Shay what she wants so I can puff my chest out around the guys? 

No thanks.

1 comment: