Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Farm Expo Tomorrow

Going to Lincoln tomorrow for a farm expo. I'm hoping I can get a good deal on a sprayer. Sometimes if you ask, manufacturers will give you a "show discount" on equipment. I don't know. I'm trying to convince myself to buy a sprayer, but I'm also trying to convince myself to save all the money I can to buy some land and build a house. 

Awhile back I briefly discussed a 160 acre piece of land that would be perfect for that. It sold for $4150/acre. For those that don't want to do the math, that's $664,000. I don't think I'll ever save up enough money to buy land at that rate. I qualify for a young farmer loan from the FSA that would help me buy land. I won't bore you with the particulars, but I have to have a down payment of 5%. Doesn't sound like much, right? A 5% down payment on $664,000 is $33,200.

I feel like I'm going to be poor forever.

I did gain some employment today. I was asked to help move snow in Grand Island this winter. I'll be running a JD 8100 with a 24' blade on the back and a 12' dozer blade on the front. It could be exciting. I'm nervous about breaking stuff. It will be nice to have some extra money, though. It'll probably go towards the "pay off student loans as quickly as possible" fund. Freaking student loans. 

I hate debt. It feels like some giant sinkhole.

I'll stop rambling now. Goodnight, all.

No comments:

Post a Comment