Friday, October 14, 2011

Changing Gears

I'm listening to ZZ Top at 6:30 in the morning. Best way to start the day? Can't be the worst, anyway.

Since our beans are still too wet and tough to cut, we decided to pick some corn yesterday. Dad has some 97 day corn, so we knew it would be dry enough to go. See, there are different maturities for corn, i.e. 102 day, 110 day, 116 day. It tells you relatively how many days it will take the corn to mature. Generally, the longer the season of corn, the better it yields.

We plant Channel seed, and I'm pretty sure this number was 197-14VT3. We had some bad wind earlier in the year, if you remember my posts about that, and this corn did have some greensnap, so I wasn't expecting a lot. I was pretty surprised to hear Dad say it's going 165-170 bushels/acre. It seems to be getting better as we move east in the field, also. Considering what this corn went through, I think both Dad and I are pretty happy with it. I forgot to take my camera yesterday, but I did get some pictures with my phone.





We were putting this corn in the bin using an auger. The tractor turns it with the PTO, and the auger carries it up to the bin:




No comments:

Post a Comment