Tuesday, October 18, 2011

When Men Aren't Men

I had one of the most frustrating meetings of my life tonight. The church we attend has a K-8 Lutheran school attached to it. It's a long story, but there is conversation about going from three teachers to two teachers. This is emotional, for sure. Everyone points to finances as the main problem, but I don't believe that to be the case at all. I think there are some people that don't like the current staff, and I feel like there are others that simply do not care about the school any longer. Our church has struggled with money for as long as I can remember, and I don't foresee that problem going away, so I am convinced that many members of our church have made this a personal issue.

The problem? No one wants to talk about it.

We continually push this off to the next meeting. We appoint task forces and committees. We ask for reports and recommendations. We push our thoughts and opinions and solutions to the back of our throats in the hopes that someone else voices them. Every man in that room has an opinion, but no one will speak.

Furthermore, there are young men and women in our church that don't seem willing to accept responsibility in the church. In our church, you must be a voting member to be elected to an office (school board, elder, trustee, etc.) I cannot exactly say how many offices need to be filled in our church, but I'm thinking 7 or 8. There were 3 men that accepted their names on the ballot for voting in January. I can think of 4 or 5 men in our church that are not current voting members that could've had their names on that ballot, if only they would take the time to become voting members.

I'm not saying that I am the "best" or "most responsible" member of our church - far from it. Looking inwardly, I know that I can give more time and money to our church and its mission. I don't set the best example of what a follower of Christ should be. I cuss too much, get angry too often, and judge my brothers and sisters in Christ.

I don't know how to get more people involved. I don't know why they don't want to be involved. Honestly, I don't know why I voice my opinion, because I don't think it will change anything.

What I do know is what Jesus says in the last part of Matthew: "And Jesus came and said to them, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age."'

We men aren't doing a very good job of making disciples and observing what Christ has commanded. I don't have children, but when I do, how can I expect them to serve Christ in church and school if I don't set that example for them? You can't make and observe without action!

God has called each and every one of us to add to His number, and He's given us everything we need to do it. Why can't we get it done? Why is it so hard to sit in a room filled with our brothers and sisters in Christ and not say anything? God has given us this church and school to further His mission, and we sit in the basement and dissect the latest treasurer's report and see the dollar signs, not the big picture. We are there to prepare young men and women to go into the world, to bring more people to the saving grace of God's forgiveness. Christ tells us He is with us. He's in that room while we discuss the future of our church. Why can't men be men? Why can't we take leadership, take this thing head on, and go forward, knowing that God will bless whatever decision we make?

I don't know the answers. I could very well be wrong about a lot of this. I'm fed up. I ask that you pray for the members of Zion Lutheran Church in Worms. I ask that you pray for me and my frustration. Lastly, I ask that you pray God's will be done.

1 comment:

  1. PROCLAMATION!! You sound like you have been sitting beside me in my classes for the last six weeks. I have heard more about church's short comings and down falls than anything else. And why? Because just as you are experiencing we as a church do fail more often than not. We worry about money, the building, or personal grudges more than the Great Commission at Hand. I am glad you referred to that Passage. One important thing that Dr. Gibbs pointed out to us in Greek readings is the first part where it says "GO and make...." Greek construction does this every where in the NT. It will say rise and go, or go and tell, or walk and depart, etc. The first verb is not really necessary since you can't go until you stand up, or you can't tell someone the news without going to them first. He told us this usage of GO and make is not an especially important double verb construction, EXCEPT in cases like yours. How can you reach all nations unless you first go? How can you reach more people by sitting in the basement trying to "fix" your problems? One thing your pastor or who ever leads these meetings could try to do is unite all members there as one body of Christ. Then show that as the body of Christ, we need to be out in the world spreading His love and faith. All trust can be put in the Lord, that He will take care of all financial issues. Our calling is the Church, not the church aka the people. I will definitely keep you in my prayers buddy, and always know that a Christian who sits quiet, even among His own brothers, is a Christian missing out on a chance to witness. All you can do is show them the love of Christ, kindly remind them of your own and their calling, and put your trust in the Lord. God's blessings to you and your church.

    ReplyDelete