Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Earworm In Corn

I had to walk into a pivot today to check the water flow meter. This pivot has some of my best looking corn, so as I walked, I pulled ears. What I found changed my mood in a hurry: Earworm, and lots of it. Here are a couple of university pages that detail earworm:

http://ipm.illinois.edu/fieldcrops/insects/corn_earworm/index.html
http://entomology.unl.edu/fldcrops/cornpestkey/earworm.htm

For those that don't feel like using the links, here is a short and sweet explanation from UNL's website: "Eggs individually laid on silks and newly hatched larvae tunnel into ears where they feed on developing kernels. Feeding usually starts at the ear tip and works downward. Usually only one mature larva develops per ear"

I pulled some ears in other parts of the field and found the same thing. Of the 30 or so ears I pulled, I only found 3 or 4 that didn't have earworm. I am not sure how my crop scout didn't see this, but I should've been watching closer. This corn was planted May 8th. According to a lot of stuff I've read, this makes corn more susceptible to earworm. At this point, it is too late to do anything, so all I can really do is wait and see how bad it is this fall. Hopefully it's not as bad as I think One of the disgusting buggers is on the second ear from the bottom.


No comments:

Post a Comment