Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Quick Food Thought/ Matthew Chapter 6

My Sunday school class will tell you my favorite passage in the Bible is Matthew 6:25-34. I can't help but continue to go back to it time and again as I read and hear of people arguing over the way food is produced. I know fellow Christians that regularly argue about it, and the only thing I can really think to do is point them to the words that Christ said:

Matt. 6:25 - "Look at the birds of the air: they neither reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they?"

And the real kicker, for me anyway:

Matt. 6:31-33 - "Therefore, do not be anxious, saying 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' For the Gentiles seek after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them all. But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you."

I think about these words a lot - "The Gentiles seek after all these things."

Are we Gentiles, or are we the saved brothers and sisters of Christ? I keep thinking more and more that this food fight (har har) is another way that satan is attacking us without us even realizing it. God provides all kinds of food for us Americans, but there are so many that say "No thanks, that's not good enough for me!"

You know, I've heard stories of what the old timers ate for breakfast - bacon, steak, sausage, eggs, pancakes, toast, coffee, and most of it covered in grease or cooked in lard. You know why they lived until they were 90? They worked. Hard. I don't know so much that it's the food we put into our body, it's what we do with it.

That's what I'm thinking, anyway. What do I know, though?

No comments:

Post a Comment