Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Beans!

Soybean planting has started. I didn't take any pictures today, but I'll try to take some tomorrow. I like soybeans. They're easy to plant, not too difficult to raise, and leave nitrogen in the soil for corn the next year. They can be a pain to cut, but once you get used to it, it's not too bad.

Supposed to rain tomorrow and tomorrow night, with a chance Thursday. Remember when I was complaining about rain? Well, we could use some now. I just hope if it does, it's not a repeat of the last 3 springs - We hope for a rain, and end up getting a monsoon. 

We also planted a test plot today, which is exactly what it sounds like - You plant a bunch of different corn varieties in a small area. This helps us to see what works in our soils and what doesn't, and it gives the District Seed Managers some numbers to point at when trying to sell seed.

2 comments:

  1. I like soybeans, too.
    We eat a lot of them around here.

    Do people eat your soy beans?
    You could possibly be involved in every single one of our meals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been known to chomp on them in the fall when they're mature and dry. So, yes, people do eat them. I'm guessing most of them get made into a ton of different things. I should blog about all the stuff that is made from soybeans.

    ReplyDelete