Monday, May 9, 2011

Holy Hotness

It was 97 degrees today. A new record. It's going to be 63 on Friday. I will spare you all the jibber jabber about Nebraska weather and let you reach your own conclusions.

It was a big day around our house. I scooped some rocks and wood chips out of Shay's flower bed, mowed the yard, and helped Shay plant her garden tonight. We hung some plants today, too. Shay worked her little tail off. She raked her flower bed, tilled it up, planted her flowers, cleaned around the house, and planted her garden. We've got sweet corn, tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, onions, pumpkins and cantaloupe. If we actually raise all of these things, my palate will have to change. Out of that list, I currently only eat sweet corn.

I'm going to start planting beans tomorrow. I don't know whether it's right or wrong, as there is rain in the forecast. If we get rain after planting and it gets hot and windy again, it could crust, which is problematic when little soybeans start trying to poke out of the ground. I'm anxious to get started, though, because I was planting beans until June 1st last year, and I'd rather not do that again.

1 comment:

  1. You go, Shay! I can't wait to see how it all comes out! Take pictures, please!

    ReplyDelete