Sunday, July 17, 2011

Happy Anniversary, Shay

I knew there was something different about this girl when she told me the night we met: "Either I'm going to the fridge to get you something, or you can quit bitching about being hungry."

A year and two weeks later we were married. That was a year ago.

It doesn't seem like it's been that long. I'm still learning things about Shay and trying to figure her out, and I think that's why things are so good with us. This woman is wilder and sweeter than any woman I've ever been around. One minute she's mocking me with her characteristic "shmee shmo shmee shmo shmee!" taunt and the next she's got her head cradled in my shoulder passed out like a baby. This is the woman who is terrified of ants, but shrugs her shoulders when the talk turns to killing rattlesnakes.

I never felt the need to change something about myself because I thought it might scare her off. I wanted to change for her. I wanted to sow the seeds and reap the harvest of being a better husband for her. I'm still working on some of those seeds. She nurtures these seeds, not by threatening me our bitching constantly, but by supporting with a firm stance.

She doesn't care what car she drives, doesn't care where she lays her head at night, doesn't care if she doesn't have the fanciest clothes and purses. She's comfortable with who she is, and doesn't much care if you don't like her. She's tender when she needs to be, tough when necessary, but always loves.

So, Shay, this is why I didn't get you a card. I hate those things. I'm not going to let someone else try to put words in my mouth. You and I aren't the mushy type, but I want you to know that I love you more than I sometimes show. I don't want to know where I would be without you. I can't wait to see what the next 5, 10, or 20 years will bring for us. And I'm really glad I went to that party in North Platte, July 3rd, 2009.

Now, would you finish getting ready so we can go out to eat?

2 comments:

  1. Happy anniversary, you two crazy kids! You make the world a believably better place. Love wins!

    ReplyDelete