Thursday, July 21, 2011

Weird Weather

Normally, I'm not in the house this time of day. Today has been weird. Woke up early to irrigate, got two wells changed, and it started lightning pretty bad. I really don't want to know what it feels like to get hit by lightning, so I quit. Got ready to go out again at 8, started raining again. Finally got out about 8:30. I had two wells left to change at about 9:15, when I saw lightning strike around me. One of them was close enough that all I saw was the flash. Then the heavens opened, and it started raining like a cow pissing on a flat rock. So far we've had a half inch. It's about done, so we'll keep irrigating.

I sprayed pipe the other day when it was a billion degrees outside. After we lay the pipe out, we have to go back and spray it because weeds and grass grow in the driveway and on the berm next to the pipe. It's a real pain in the butt. I wanted to get out before the weeds got big, but it rained last week, so the weeds got big. Of course.



In other news, the corn is tasseling, so that's nice. There's pollen everywhere. Normally, hot weather is bad when the corn is pollinating, but this year the corn seems to be taking it ok. We've had plenty of moisture, so that helps. Corn is cool. The tassel comes out, then drops the pollen and fertilizes the ear, causing the ear to develop kernels and fill the ear. Our corn has grown like crazy this year. We have one field that has some corn that is 10 or 11 feet tall. I was going to take a picture last night, but of course, I didn't have my camera. Next time I get a chance, I'll take a picture.

I hilled some beans yesterday, but once again, didn't have my camera. The beans are also getting huge in a hurry. I won't be hilling today with this rain, but maybe tomorrow or Saturday I can take some pictures.

I shouldn't say this, but so far, the crops look better this year than I can ever remember. That doesn't mean much, though. I've developed a short memory with all the flooding we've had the last few years. And just because it looks good doesn't mean it is good. We had a lot of stuff that looked good last year but didn't produce very well. Time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment