Friday, January 28, 2011

Good Morning

I've been away a couple of days. Sorry about that. I don't know what I was doing Wednesday that I didn't write. I meant to write last night, but I didn't get home until 11:45 from a meeting, so after waking Shay up so she could move from the couch to the bed and taking Hannah out before I put her in her kennel for the night, I went to bed. Hannah had to get stitches in her paw, so she's been in the house with us. I think she's going out of her mind with boredom. Charlie has already had hip surgery and a broken pelvis. Now Hannah has stitches. I hope we have good health insurance by the time we have kids. 

Today, I'm going to ask for some more prayers, because I believe that prayer is a pretty awesome thing.

The reason I was so late in getting home last night is that I am on the board of directors and Heartland Lutheran High School in Grand Island. I graduated from there, and besides coaching JV basketball for a year, haven't had much to do with the place. For a lot of reasons my heart was hardened towards that school. A few months ago, I received a call from the school board president asking if I'd like to be appointed to the board. I'm not smart, but I know when God is nudging me somewhere. 

Or hitting me with the holy 2x4, as my high school English teacher, Mrs. Blake, would say.

We're talking about a private school that hasn't been in existence for very long. I think this is the 12th or 13th school year, but I could be wrong. I know it's less than 15. This means a lot of struggle. There were a couple of issues that came to a head last night, which was good, but at the same time, it's a little heart breaking for me. It frustrates me to know that the school is no better off now than it was when I graduated 7 years ago. 

It's also frustrating because I don't really know what to do about it. I don't know why God placed me in this situation. Either I'm too dense, or it hasn't been revealed to me yet. I'm a man. I'm not good at waiting. I like to fix things. Now. I don't want to sit and talk about possible solutions for 4 hours. I want to find the solution and get after it.

On the other hand, there are a couple of things I'm excited about. The first is the fact that there are going to be 35-45 kids in our Sunday School class this Sunday. Worms is hosting a basketball tournament, and some families are hosting basketball players from visiting teams, so they'll be in class. I'm pretty pumped and a little nervous all at the same time.

Secondly, I'm excited about the discussion pastor and I had yesterday about the youth group at Worms. When I was in high school, our youth group was pretty large. We had youth group every Wednesday night, went on mission trips every summer, had a bunch of kids in Sunday School every week. The pastor that started that left, we had a vacancy pastor for awhile, then another, then had 7 calls turned down, then had a pastor that had no interest in youth group. It's been dormant for awhile. Pastor and I have been talking for a couple of years about getting it back on track, but until yesterday, nothing concrete had occurred. Now, we have a date on the church calendar for the first youth group event, and I have a letter ready to go out to parents so we can have a meeting concerning youth group direction. We're going to meet on the 2nd and 4th Wednesday of the month, or Sunday afternoons if we have to. 

This is where the prayer requests come in, if you're so inclined. I ask that you pray for Heartland Lutheran High School, that God's work continue to be done there in this frustrating time. I ask that you pray for me, that I might be able to proclaim God's word on Sunday for a larger group than I am used to. Finally, I ask that you pray for our youth group, that it can get going again and provide a place for the young people of our church to gather in their own community to study His word, and pray for me that God would give me the knowledge, discipline, and speech to lead the group.

You don't have to pray these things. If you want to, though, I would appreciate the help. Thank you for your support and love, friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment