Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Spiritual Leadership

Shay was raised Methodist and I was raised Lutheran. After much discussion, Shay has been taking steps to become a member of the LC-MS (Lutheran Church - Missouri Synod). We have been going to classes at Zion Lutheran in Worms for the past couple of months every Monday night so that Shay can learn exactly what our denomination believes. It's been great review for me also. The main reason we are doing this is because I had a good friend in college who came from a home where the parents were different denominations, and he seemed like a pretty confused fellow when it came to God. Shay and I don't want our children raised in this kind of confusion, so we're planning on becoming united on this front. I'm not here to say the LC-MS is better than any other denomination, because all people who believe that Christ has saved them by grace through faith with His crucifixion are going to heaven. There are many reasons we've chosen to go this route, and to be honest, those reasons really shouldn't be up for conversation outside of our marriage, and I don't want to bore you with the details. Simply put, I feel that Shay is learning quite a bit and seems really excited about what she's learning, and I am definitely having fun relearning and reviewing all that we are discussing.

Last night we were discussing spiritual leadership within the family. The husband is to be the spiritual leader of the household, which honestly, can be an overwhelming task. I turned my thoughts inward for awhile and I wasn't exactly sure I was happy with what I saw. I know I can do a better job in many areas - prayer, devotions, support. Shay and I should be doing a devotion together, but we don't. That's my fault. We don't pray together very often, if at all. That's my fault. When we're having a hard time getting to church and start making excuses, that's my fault. Honestly, I'm failing pretty badly in this area. I need to man up and provide a better Christian environment in our own home. I would love to have family devotions someday when we have munchkins running around. I need to start this change now. In times like this, I remember what our Bible study leader, Ethan, used to say - you reap what you sow. If you want a change to occur, you have to start planting those seeds now. Change doesn't come overnight. I pray that I can sow those seeds so that my family can reap the rewards down the road.

Another thing I was thinking about last night was how much I miss being in a Bible study. In college I had the privilege to be invited into a group of young Christian men in Lincoln. My good friend Andy called me and asked me to come, and the rest is history. It was interesting to be surrounded by so many different backgrounds and denominations, and the best part was everyone supported each other. No one was looked down upon because their church may have had different views than another. I should say it was a very tolerant group. I think it was also a rare group. Many Bible studies come from church, meaning you meet with like minded members. This group was a Bible study stew. I loved it. I miss it very much. I miss the fellowship, the support, the prayer, the understanding. I'd like to start a group study for young couples in our area. The problem? Not many young couples. My cousins and their wives are about it. I'm not sure what steps to take. I feel like without a group, I don't spend as much time as I should in the Bible, and I'm not held as accountable as I should be as far as being a Christian man is concerned. It's a lot easier to lie to yourself than it is to lie to 6 or 8 other guys that are in your shoes. 

I ask your prayers, that I would become a better Christian leader in my own home and in my own relationship with God. I know that Christ has given me all the tools I need to become this man. I just need a little help from my friends in getting there.  

No comments:

Post a Comment