Monday, February 7, 2011

It's Getting To Be That Time

Had a situation where a landlord wanted a little more rent than last year. Ok, a lot more rent. We had a decent discussion today, and we met somewhere in the middle. It's a good chunk of extra change, but I can contract corn for October/November delivery for about $5.40/bu and soybeans for about $12.80/bu, so I won't complain too much. I also really appreciate the fact that he wants to rent to a young farmer, not the top dollar. That's a pretty rare thing to find around here.

Soybean seed will be delivered tomorrow. I need to get my cash flow done so the FSA can push my young farmer loan through. I think the interest rate is 2% for an operating loan this year. Can't beat that with two sticks. I need to get my taxes finished also.

The fiscal part of farming can kind of suck, but it also means we're getting closer to the fun part. And I really like the fun part.

No comments:

Post a Comment