Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Wisdom Comes From Unexpected Places

"Talking tough is easy when it's other people's evil and you're judging what they do and don't believe." - "A Ghost To Most" written by Mike Cooley of the Drive By Truckers

Just the other night Shay and I were talking about how easy it is to fall into the trap of gossip. I said to her "I wish I could stop talking about other people." That's not entirely true. I like talking about people. I like talking about people when it's something good. That's often not the case. I'm guessing 5 minutes after I said that to Shay I was talking about someone else and how I would do things if I were in their shoes. You know what?

I'm an idiot.

I can barely take care of my own crap, and now I want to solve everyone else's problems? How's that going to work out for everybody? Not well, I'm guessing.

What makes me feel even worse about gossip is the fact that Jesus speaks often and very clearly about it. Every time I gossip about someone, I hear this words in my head: "Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?" Jesus speaks these words in Matthew 7:3. Yeah, ouch. 

I talk about others because it's the easy thing to do. I run out of things to say about the weather, sports, music, etc. and turn to other people. There's always a lot of crap to say about someone else. I'm pretty frustrated with myself over it. I'm not sure how to get around it. 

Thank God He sacrificed His son to take our sins. Gossip breeds hatred, and Jesus tells us that if we hate someone, we've committed murder in our hearts. We're all murderers. If it wasn't for the gift of grace through faith, I'd be in trouble. 

And if it weren't for the Drive By Truckers and a loud stereo in a pickup, I'd forget to look in the mirror once in awhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment